Re: system view corrupted, i get "unexpected right parenthesis" for many system tables.

From: David Ford <firefighterblu3(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: system view corrupted, i get "unexpected right parenthesis" for many system tables.
Date: 2006-01-09 23:03:19
Lists: pgsql-sql
that's ok, i found a working solution with 8.0.5 +pg-hier (8.0.1 wouldn't
work + or -pg-hier), so i got things dumped, upgraded, and running.  thank
you to you and the guys on #postgresql very much for your assistance :)

david

On 1/9/06, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> David Ford <firefighterblu3(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > i've tried with and without the hier patch and neither seems to work.
>
> I was afraid of that: you've got some views created with the patch
> installed and some with it not installed.
>
> > i have a few options left to try but i might be reduced to stitching
> together
> > COPYs and system tables from an older backup.
>
> It should be possible to manually correct the bogus entries.  Basically
> what the patch does is add a field to the QUERY structure, whose name I
> forget but comparing working and non-working ev_action strings should
> expose it.  (It's probably near the end of the string.)  If you delete
> the field (text ":fieldname <> ") from the non-working ev_action strings
> you should be able to get to a state where all the views will dump in a
> non-hier build.

Gay/Firefighter/EMT/Geek in 06451, USA
It's the ideals of Linux and Open Source that are amazing, it embodies what
WE want, not what is marketed

Once you lose the greatest of all things, it's the memories you cherish for
all time.  He was the best, I could have been better.