Re: event trigger API documentation?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: event trigger API documentation?
Date: 2013-04-17 15:41:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 4/17/13 5:41 AM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> I'm not sure about ripping it out, it does not sound like a good idea to
> me. It needs some addition and C level examples yes. The plan was to
> build a contrib module as an example, that would cancel any (supported)
> command you try to run by means of ereport(ERROR, …);. Then add that in
> pieces in the docs with details about what's going on.
>
> While the commit fest was still running didn't look like the right time
> to work on that. Beta looks like when to be working on that.

Well, if documentation had been available well before beta, other
procedural languages might have gained support for event triggers. If
it's not being documented, it might not happen very soon.

It would have been good to have at least one untrusted language with
event trigger support, so that you can hook in external auditing or
logging systems. With the existing PL/pgSQL support, the possible
actions are a bit limited.