Re: String encoding during connection "handshake"

From: "Usama Munir" <usama(dot)munir(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: <sulfinu(at)gmail(dot)com>,"Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: String encoding during connection "handshake"
Date: 2007-11-27 17:29:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Martin is actually right. No assumption is made about the encoding of the password. The password is recieved as a set of bytes over the wire-level protocol and then processed accordingly as per your pg_hba settings. please refer to auth.c method recv_password_packet(Port *port). The comment on the last line of the method might be of your intrest, and i quote

"Return the received string, Note we do not attempt to do any character set conversion on it; since we don't know the client's encoding, there woudn't be much point"

/ Usama