Re: Proposal: new pg_dump options --copy-delimiter and

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: new pg_dump options --copy-delimiter and
Date: 2006-01-27 19:08:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers
>> That line of argument leads to the suggestion that pg_dump should just
>> use something else (I'd vote for "|"), all the time, in order to produce
>> more robust dump files.  I still don't see the argument for exposing
>> a switch though.

> If we regard them as suitable for human editing for normal use, yes.

No, that actually was no part of my point.  A pg_dump file that doesn't
use tabs is more likely to survive being emailed, for instance.  I'm not
sure whether that is a large enough consideration to justify a change,
but you don't have to assume that anyone's intending to edit anything
to make the argument for it.