Re: making contact via perl

From: "Behzad Mahini" <behzad(at)monosphere(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: making contact via perl
Date: 2005-06-18 19:46:17
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
I am also experiencing a similar problem (on Windows XP, PostgreSQL
8.0.1) using Perl, DBD::PgPP.  I did make the changes as was suggested
by John DeSoi (i.e., provide local machine in your connect
parameters,...... that is I am presently using "localhost"). However,
the error message is now changed  to the following:

Couldn't connect to localhost :5432/tcp IO::Socket::INET: Unknown error
at C:Perl/site/lib/DBD/ line 124

Secondly, assuming that my issue with the above error message based on
someone's reply (hopefully), will end up being resolved (counting on
"localhost"), does that mean this piece of code will always have to run
on the local machine where PostgreSQL is installed on?!

I also looked at the configuration files (pg_hba.conf, &
postgresql.conf), and there is not a place to make changes to address
TCP-IP connections (on Windows). Additionally, PostgreSQL documentation
warns about running "postmaster" with the -i option (& I did not find
this to be relevant to the Windows environment). Presently my postmaster
on Windows gets launched automatically (as a default service on Windows
based on the following line):

"C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0\bin\pg_ctl.exe" runservice -N
"pgsql-8.0" -D "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0\data\"

Following is the code I am using, which gives the above listed error

#!/usr/bin/perl -W

use strict;

use DBI;

use IO::Socket;

my $user = "xyz";

my $password = "xyz_passwd";

my $dbname = "testdb";

my $dbh = DBI->connect("dbi:PgPP:dbname=$dbname; localhost",

                                    || die "Database connection not
made:     $DBI::errstr";

Re: making contact via perl