Re:

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re:
Date: 2013-02-10 23:30:33
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 2/9/2013 3:25 AM, viswam mamilla wrote:
> Iam using PostgreSQL 9.1 in my local system.when iam using this
> database with vb.net <http://vb.net> my application gets very slow
> while retriving data from database.if i used the same with access or
> SQL database its is very fast.
>
> Can i know what is the problem.Iam using ODBC Connection for postgresql.

you'd likely be better off with npgsql, which is a native .net data
provider for postgres, instead of ODBC.

> here iam writing one sample table in postgresql.
>
> CREATE TABLE "AppUsers"
> (
> "UserID" smallint,
> "Name" character(100),
> "EmailID" character(150),
> "Password" character(20),
> "UserRole" character(50)
> )

you realize 'character(n)' are fixed length fields? so if name is 'joe
blow', it will be padded to 100 characters with spaces? thats almost
never what you want to do. instead use varchar(100) or character
varying(100) (same thing), or just use text (no length specified), these
formats return just what you store ('joe blow' will return an 8 char
string).

--
john r pierce 37N 122W