Re: tsearch refactorings

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Teodor Sigaev" <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, "Patches" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tsearch refactorings
Date: 2007-09-06 18:59:12
Lists: pgsql-patches

"Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> I started to write a patch for that, as I realized that we're
> transferring the strings in a tsvector/tsquery in server encoding.
> That's not good, right? A dump created with COPY ... BINARY wouldn't be
> portable across clusters with different encodings, for example.

Any portion of a binary value that is considered textual should be
converted to and from client encoding --- cf textsend/textrecv.
This should be pretty trivial to fix, just call a different support
routine.

BTW, Teodor, are you intending to review/apply Heikki's tsearch fixes,
or do you want someone else to do it?