Streaming-only cascading replica won't come up without writes on the master

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Streaming-only cascading replica won't come up without writes on the master
Date: 2013-02-01 01:04:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Heikki,

I thought this was only a 9.3 issue, but it turns out to be
reproduceable on 9.2.2. Basically, I did:

1. master is queicent ... no writes occuring.
2. createded cascading replica (reprep1) from replica (repmaster)
3. reprep1 remains "in recovery mode" until a write occurs on master

I've been able to reproduce this several times on my laptop using
postmasters running on different ports.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.