Re: psql \l to accept patterns

From: Satoshi Nagayasu <snaga(at)uptime(dot)jp>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql \l to accept patterns
Date: 2013-01-30 03:33:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers
(2013/01/30 0:34), Tom Lane wrote:
> Satoshi Nagayasu <snaga(at)uptime(dot)jp> writes:
>
>> BTW, is there any good place to put new regression test for the psql
>> command? I couldn't find it out.
>
> As far as a test for this specific feature goes, I'd be against adding
> one, because it'd be likely to result in random failures in "make
> installcheck" mode, depending on what other databases are in the
> installation.
>
> More generally, we've tended to put tests of \d-style psql features
> together with the relevant backend-side tests.

Yes, I think so too.

First of all, I was looking for some regression tests for
CREATE/ALTER/DROP DATABASE commands, but I couldn't find them
in the test/regress/sql/ directory. So, I asked the question.

I guess these database tests are in pg_regress.c. Right?

> The proposed patch to add \gset adds a separate regression test file
> specifically for psql.  I've been debating whether that was worth
> committing; but if there's near-term interest in adding any more tests
> for psql features that aren't closely connected to backend features,
> maybe it's worth having such a file.

Personally, I'm interested in having regression tests whatever
the target is, because software tends to be more complicated.
So, if we reach consensus to have dedicated tests for the psql
command (or other client-side commands), I wish to contribute to it.

Regards,
--
Satoshi Nagayasu <snaga(at)uptime(dot)jp>
Uptime Technologies, LLC. http://www.uptime.jp