Re: psql: FATAL: the database system is in recovery mode

From: Bhushan Verma <verma(dot)bhushan(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql: FATAL: the database system is in recovery mode
Date: 2009-06-24 08:32:54
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-novice

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

I am not able to find out the core file.
but in log file its giving the message like:

LOG: server process (PID 29225) was terminated by signal 11: Segmentation
fault
LOG: terminating any other active server processes
LOG: all server processes terminated; reinitializing
FATAL: the database system is in recovery mode
LOG: database system was interrupted; last known up at 2009-06-23 12:49:49
IST
FATAL: the database system is in recovery mode
FATAL: the database system is in recovery mode

I have searched for the core file for this pid.
Is there any spcefic path for the postgres executable?

I have already checked for ulimit -c unlimited etc.
On my system core file for some other application are generating properly.

With Regards,
Bhushan

On 6/24/09, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> Bhushan Verma wrote:
> > I am doing some database related queries and this is working fine at
> fedora
> > core 4.
> > But the same database queries giving the FATAL error on fedora 9.
> >
> > If I restarts the database on fedora core 9 then this is perfectlry
> working
> > without giving any error.
> >
> > My postgres version is
> > On Fedora core-9[FC9] Machine:
> > $ rpm -qa|grep postgres
> > postgresql-server-8.3.1-1.fc9.i386
> > postgresql-devel-8.3.1-1.fc9.i386
> > postgresql-python-8.3.1-1.fc9.i386
> > postgresql-8.3.1-1.fc9.i386
> > postgresql-libs-8.3.1-1.fc9.i386
>

> It probably won't solve this problem, but you need to upgrade. The
> latest 8.3 release is 8.3.7. See
> http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning
>

> > On Fedora core-4[FC49] Machine:
> > $ rpm -qa|grep postgres
> > postgresql-server-8.0.3-1

> Same here. Latest 8.0 minor release is 8.0.21
>

> > Problem is:
> > ----------------
> > server closed the connection unexpectedly
> > This probably means the server terminated abnormally
> > before or while processing the request.
> >
> > connection to server was lost
> >
> > psql: FATAL: the database system is in recovery mode

> > server closed the connection unexpectedly
> > This probably means the server terminated abnormally
> > before or while processing the request.
> > connection to server was lost
> > psql: FATAL: the database system is in recovery mode
> >
> > --------------
> >
> > Is this database bug or there is any versioning incopatability.
>

> You'll have to give more details or no-one will be able to help you.
> Please share the query that caused the crash, and CREATE statements of
> all the tables involved in the query. Is there any triggers or anything
> else involved?
>
> Can you get a core dump and post stack trace from it? Something along
> the lines of:
> 1. ulimit -c unlimited
> 2. pg_ctl start
> 3. <induce crash>