Re: psql \l to accept patterns

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql \l to accept patterns
Date: 2013-01-07 22:14:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On 1/7/13 3:53 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 7:14 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
>> > Here is a patch for psql's \l command to accept patterns, like \d
>> > commands do.  While at it, I also added an "S" option to show system
>> > objects and removed system objects from the default display.  This might
>> > be a bit controversial, but it's how it was decided some time ago that
>> > the \d commands should act.
> -1 from me on that last bit.  I don't think that you can really
> compare the postgres or template1 database to, say, the pg_toast
> schema.  There's no real reason for people to ever care about objects
> in the pg_toast schema, but the same cannot be said about template1,
> which it's often necessary to connect to when running many of the
> commands (vacuumdb -a, etc.) we ship with our distribution.  I think
> this will just be confusing to users without any real upside.

We removed showing system functions and operators from \df and \do
without S.  Those are needed all the time.  This was controversial at
the time, but it's the way it is now.  The definition of "S", I suppose,
is more like "is there after database is created", not "typical users
care about these objects".