Amazon PostgreSQL DW with Redshift

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Amazon PostgreSQL DW with Redshift
Date: 2012-12-12 19:22:27
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Folks,

I missed this announcement, but someone here at LISA clued me in: Amazon
has deployed "Elastic ParAccel" as part of AWS. ParAccel is an
in-memory, MPP, quasi-C-store PostgreSQL fork.

http://www.zdnet.com/amazon-redshift-paraccel-in-costly-appliances-out-7000008111/
http://www.dbms2.com/2012/12/09/amazon-redshift-and-its-implications/

So this isn't full Postgres on AWS -- for that, you still want Heroku,
Scalr or something similar -- but it's nice to see Amazon deploying a
PostgreSQL-syntax-compatible DW service. I'll have to give it a spin.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.