Re: Overlength socket paths (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Refactor flex and bison make rules)

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jeremy Drake <pgbuildfarm(at)jdrake(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Overlength socket paths (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Refactor flex and bison make rules)
Date: 2012-11-29 23:09:27
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 11/29/2012 05:20 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I don't think it's worth a heroic effort. Meanwhile I'll add a check in
>> the upgrade test module(s) to check for overly long paths likely to give
>> problems.
> I'm thinking maybe we should try to fix this. What's bugging me is that
> Jeremy's build path doesn't look all that unreasonably long. The scary
> scenario that's in the back of my mind is that one day somebody decides
> to rearrange the Red Hat build servers a bit and suddenly I can't build
> Postgres there anymore, because the build directory is nested a bit too
> deep. Murphy's law would of course dictate that I find this out only
> when under the gun to get a security update packaged.

The only thing it breaks AFAIK is pg_upgrade testing because pg_upgrade
insists on setting the current directory as the socket dir. Maybe we
need a pg_upgrade option to specify the socket dir to use. Or maybe the
postmaster needs to check the length somehow before it calls
StreamServerPort() so we can give a saner error message.

cheers

andrew