Re: Add contrib module functions to docs' function index

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: David Johnston <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: "'PostgreSQL Hackers'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add contrib module functions to docs' function index
Date: 2012-11-14 00:10:27
Lists: pgsql-docspgsql-hackers
On 11/14/2012 07:56 AM, David Johnston wrote:

> For clarity does this proposal refer to Chapter 9 of the documentation, the
> "Index", or both.
>
> If modifying Chapter 9 the function and operator tables should be extended
> to include a "source" column with values of "base" or "contrib: <module
> name>" or something similar.
>
> As to the desirability of such a change I concur that it would be a nice
> usability enhancement to consider beyond just updating the actual "Index".
Sorry I was unclear.

I'm talking about making sure that contrib module functions (and
settings) appear in the documentation index (
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/bookindex.html
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/bookindex.html>) so it's easy
to find a function by name whether it's in core or contrib. This is what
I want to add to TODO.

Separately, it might also be nice to add the contrib functions to the
section 9 tables with an extra column showing their origin, but that's
less clearly a good thing. Even if there's a column saying "intarray"
for intarray functions in the array functions list, people will still
try to use them without loading the extension and get confused when
they're not found. It'll also bloat the listings of core functions.
Rather than do that, I'd probably prefer to add a note to relevant
sections. For example, in array functions I'd want to add "Additional
functions that operate only on arrays of integers are available in the