Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL
Date: 2012-11-07 19:50:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Well, Magnus' proposed implementation supposed that the existing values
> *have* been loaded into the current session.  I agree that with some
> locking and yet more code you could implement it without that.  But this
> still doesn't seem to offer any detectable benefit over value-per-file.

Well, value-per-file is ugly (imagine you've set 40 different variables
that way) but dodges a lot of complicated issues.  And I suppose "ugly"
doesn't matter, because the whole idea of the auto-generated files is
that users aren't supposed to look at them anyway.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.