String escaping?

From: David Nedrow <dnedrow(at)mac(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: String escaping?
Date: 2006-12-13 17:09:33
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Are there any build-in JDK or JDBC (Sun or Postgresql driver)
functions for escaping strings before inserting/updating in the DB?

Eg., I'm using the following PreparedStatement...

addNickname = con.prepareStatement("insert into infobot.nicknames
(nickname, firstseen) values (?, to_timestamp(?))");

When providing the value via addNickname.setString(1, this.getString
()), is there some way for me to be sure that the contents of the
string I'm feeding to setString() are properly formed/escaped.

I'm basically looking for the Java equivalent of PHP's
pg_escape_string() function...

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.pg-escape-string.php

I was hoping to avoid writing my own escape method, but may have to
as I have yet to find anything "off the shelf".

Any suggestions would be appreciated,

-David