Re: pg_dump vs pg_dumpall - small database cluster,

From: "C(dot) Bensend" <benny(at)bennyvision(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump vs pg_dumpall - small database cluster,
Date: 2003-12-20 14:26:50
Lists: pgsql-admin

>> pg_dumpall seems to do this for me, without any command-line args
>> needed. Am I correct in saying that 'pg_dumpall > filename' will
>> produce
>> a PostgreSQL dump that includes _everything_ I need to go from a clean
>> PG install to accepting connections again with data intact? Users,
>> passwords, etc?
>>

> and the owner of pg_dumpall process must be a database superuser.

Absolutely... I'm running this directly on the database server, as the
PostgreSQL superuser, so permissions aren't an issue. I just want to be
very sure that pg_dumpall is getting absolutely everything I need,
because I don't have the resources at this site to do full filesystem
backups of this host.

Thanks much!

Benny

--
"Hey, get in here, Boozy! You're late for your drunkening!"
-- Moe, "The Simpsons"