Re: Deprecating RULES

From: Darren Duncan <darren(at)darrenduncan(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Deprecating RULES
Date: 2012-10-12 04:00:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> For 9.3, I suggest we create a DDL trigger by default which prevents
>>> RULEs and throws an ERROR that explains they are now deprecated.
>
> Well, even if we were considering this, the sequence would need to be:
>
> 1. Announce in 9.3 that RULES will be going away RSN.
> 2. In 9.4, send a warning every time someone loads/edits a user-defined
> RULE.
> 3. In 10.0, get rid of CREATE RULE.

I think we can easily move up the first 2 steps.

1. Announce right now, effectively in 9.2, that RULES are going away soon.
2. In 9.3, send the warning.

Then optionally 3. In 9.4 can be where CREATE RULE is removed, or stay with 10.0
there and we have a solid 2 years of warnings instead of one.

It seems to me that step 1 is completely outside the release cycle, as it
doesn't involve changing any code. Since 9.2 just came out, we can just do #1
as of 9.2.

The only reason I see to delay #1 is if we aren't sure we're going to go ahead
with it, and give a few months to think about it before announcing this major
thing suddenly. Waiting until 9.3 just to make an announcement is silly.

-- Darren Duncan