Re: Corrupt view in PostgreSQL 9.0.9

From: Mikael Kjellström <mikael(dot)kjellstrom(at)mksoft(dot)nu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Corrupt view in PostgreSQL 9.0.9
Date: 2012-09-28 16:04:00
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 2012-09-28 16:35, Tom Lane wrote:

> =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Mikael_Kjellstr=F6m?= <mikael(dot)kjellstrom(at)mksoft(dot)nu> writes:
>> # drop view communitytaxiexceptions ;
>> ERROR: invalid attribute number 0 for communitytaxiexceptions
>
> That's pretty odd --- it implies something nasty has happened to the
> contents of pg_attribute. It would be interesting to have a look at
> select * from pg_attribute where attrelid = 'communitytaxiexceptions'::regclass;

Here is the result of the above query, I hope it's readable and not mangled:

# select * from pg_attribute where attrelid =
'communitytaxiexceptions'::regclass;
attrelid | attname | atttypid | attstattarget | attlen |
attnum | attndims | attcacheoff | atttypmod | attbyva
l | attstorage | attalign | attnotnull | atthasdef | attisdropped |
attislocal | attinhcount | attacl | attoptions
----------+------------------+----------+---------------+--------+--------+----------+-------------+-----------+--------
--+------------+----------+------------+-----------+--------------+------------+-------------+--------+------------
16547 | commun | 25 | -1 | -1 |
1 | 0 | -1 | -1 | f
| x | i | f | f | f | t
| 0 | |
| | | | |
| | | |
| | | | | |
| | |
| | | | |
| | | |
| | | | | |
| | |
| | | | |
| | | |
| | | | | |
| | |
16547 | unda | 0 | 700 | 0 |
0 | 0 | 2883584 | 1245245 | t
| | | t | t | t | f
| 0 | |
16547 | undantagid | 25 | -1 | -1 |
6 | 0 | -1 | -1 | f
| x | i | f | f | f | t
| 0 | |
16547 | numbernamn | 25 | -1 | -1 |
7 | 0 | -1 | -1 | f
| x | i | f | f | f | t
| 0 | |
16547 | telenummer | 25 | -1 | -1 |
8 | 0 | -1 | -1 | f
| x | i | f | f | f | t
| 0 | |
16547 | distributionname | 25 | -1 | -1 |
9 | 0 | -1 | -1 | f
| x | i | f | f | f | t
| 0 | |
16547 | zoneid | 23 | -1 | 4 |
10 | 0 | -1 | -1 | t
| p | i | f | f | f | t
| 0 | |
(10 rows)

>> Is there anything thing I could do to manually remove the view or fix
>> the problem?
>
> Well, you could manually remove its pg_class and pg_type rows, and that
> should be close enough to being "gone". But what I'm worried about is
> what other damage there is.

Yes, that is what I am afraid of also. We had a nasty power spike and
that caused the machine to reboot. The raid controller is equipped with
a BBU though so there shouldn't be any lost disk writes. But you never
know.

Any point of running a vacuum full on the database or is that a bad idea?

/Mikael