Re: data to json enhancements

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)krosing(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: data to json enhancements
Date: 2012-09-28 10:22:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 09/28/2012 12:42 AM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 09/27/2012 06:58 PM, Hannu Krosing wrote:

>> Maybe cast not to text but to cstring for getting the
>> text-is-already-json ?
>>
>> That is, reuse the current type io as "literal" casts.
>>
>> This way a cast of '{"a": 1}'::json::text will fail, as this json
>> value really does not
>> represent a text/string value.

>>> The trouble is, ISTM, that both things seem equally intuitive. You
>>> could easily argue that x::text::json means take x as text and treat
>>> it as json, or that it means take x as text and produce a valid json
>>> value from it by escaping and quoting it. It's particularly
>>> ambiguous when x is itself already a text value. If we go this way I
>>> suspect we'll violate POLA for a good number of users.
>> It may be easier to sort this out if we think in terms of symmetry
>> and unambiguity.
>>
>> let's postulate that mytype::json::mytype and json::mytype::json
>> should always reproduce the original result or they should fail.
>

> Where are all these casts from json going to come from? What is going
> to dequote and unescape strings, or turn objects into hstores?
as json is defined to encode only 3 base types - boolean (true/false),
number and string - and two composite types - array and "object" - it
should not be too hard to provide casts for these and then use existing
casts to go on from number and text

Something extra should probably be done for number, perhaps we need
separate casts for float and decimal/numeric but the rest should be
relatively simple.

the json null vs SQL NULL poses and interesting problem though ;)