Re: postgresql-8.2-504.jdbc4.jar and backslash

From: Altaf Malik <mmalik_altaf(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: roman <xroot(at)mail(dot)ru>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql-8.2-504.jdbc4.jar and backslash
Date: 2007-05-07 07:20:22
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

You are using wrong escape characters. \\ is java escape character, which in turn becomes \ so your String becomes:
UPDATE "table1" SET "field1"='f:\temp'
And when you fetch the data, f:\temp becomes f: emp
because \t is an escape sequence for tab.
Using escape characters, \\ should be written as \\\\ which will convert to \\

--Altaf Malik

roman <xroot(at)mail(dot)ru> wrote: Hello.
I use this jar driver for connection to postgresql 8.2.3-1 in Windows XP.
In my database I use UFT8 codepage.
I need to save some filepath in some character varying(255) field in table1.
That path looks like this: f:\temp
in String class like this: "f:\\temp";
I try to execute following SQL statement:
UPDATE "table1" SET "field1"='f:\\temp'
in String object it looks like: "UPDATE \"table1\" SET \"field1\"='f:\\temp'".
After statement executed I get on SELECT folowing:
f:<tab symbol>emp

Why? There were two back slashes!!!

When I try to execute that update statement in pgAdminIII everything is OK!!!

Please, help me to decide this problem. How can I save filepath with backslashes?

Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.