Re: Change in Log Format and Prepared Statements

From: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
To: Alexander Stanier <alexander(dot)stanier(at)egsgroup(dot)com>
Cc: Maciek Sakrejda <m(dot)sakrejda(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Change in Log Format and Prepared Statements
Date: 2012-09-17 11:54:25
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
On 09/17/2012 02:58 PM, Alexander Stanier wrote:
> Thanks Maciek for your advice which I will pass back to our Java
> developers. We are using a combination of Torque and Hibernate to access
> the database via jdbc. I think Hibernate passes parameters as you
> suggest but Torque doesn't. We are slowly moving away from Torque to
> Hibernate.
>
> Do you know if there is any documentation on the "unnamed variant" of
> prepared statements? I've read the pages on PREPARE and EXECUTE but they
> don't go into much depth about what happens in the background.

The v3 protocol uses something like PREPARE and EXECUTE, but not those
statements as such.

You want the documentation on the fe/be protocol:

   http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/protocol.html

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/protocol-overview.html#PROTOCOL-QUERY-CONCEPTS

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/protocol-flow.html#PROTOCOL-FLOW-EXT-QUERY

For the exact communications used by PgJDBC you're best off checking the
sources. I haven't read the wire protocol / backend part yet.

--
Craig Ringer