Re: TODO item: Allow more complex user/database default GUC settings

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: TODO item: Allow more complex user/database default GUC settings
Date: 2009-09-23 18:10:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Robert Haas escribi:
>> So here's the followup question - do you intend to do one of those
>> things for this CommitFest, or should we mark this as Returned with
>> Feedback once Bernd posts the rest of his review?

> What feedback is it supposed to be returned with? Precisely what I
> wanted is some feedback on the general idea. Brendan's "I like the
> approach" is good, but is it enough to deter a later veto from someone
> else?

FWIW, I looked the patch over quickly, and I think it will be fine once
Bernd's comments are addressed. In particular I agree with the
objection to the name "pg_setting" as being confusingly close to
"pg_settings". But "pg_user_setting" isn't better. Maybe
"pg_db_role_settings"?

As far as the lock issue goes, I don't see any reason why the catalog
change creates a reason for new/different locking than we had before.
Any attempt to make concurrent updates to the same row will generate an
error, and that seems enough to me ...