Re: Streaming bytea implementation offered

From: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
To: Werner Donné <werner(dot)donne(at)pincette(dot)biz>
Cc: "pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Streaming bytea implementation offered
Date: 2012-09-01 23:09:10
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On 09/01/2012 11:13 PM, Werner Donné wrote:

> We will have to fall back on copying the byte array in case a temporary file couldn't be created, for whatever reason.
That's reasonable, especially if we log the fact at debug/trace level
too, to encourage people to turn the feature off if it doesn't apply in
their environment.
>> Do you propose to make this always-on, or configurable?
> The treashold could be configurable.
I think it'll need to be, if nothing else to stop people from having
tempfile issues.
>> How (if at all) does this interact with JDBC-standard BLOB support, and with large objects?
> It has no effect on either.
I suspected not, but it's good to confirm. Thanks.

> I have never used git, nor have I written unit tests, but I'll have a look.

If you've used any SCM like CVS, Subversion, or Perforce the principles
are similar for basic use. I highly recommend it. This'll be handy:

https://help.github.com/

GitHub have spent a lot of time and effort writing documentation and
tutorials for git.

Sorry to ask you to do that; I'd probably just grab the source tarball
and pick through it, but I'm on a travelling holiday for the next couple
of weeks and just trying to check in on the mailing list sometimes.

--
Craig Ringer