Re: pg_upgrade's exec_prog() coding improvement

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade's exec_prog() coding improvement
Date: 2012-08-31 14:52:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 08/24/2012 11:44 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Again, win32 testing would be welcome. Sadly, buildfarm does not run
> pg_upgrade's "make check".

Yesterday I added a new module to the buildfarm client code to run this
(<https://github.com/PGBuildFarm/client-code/commit/ab812cb9920c65e39ec7358dc816371f1fef31eb>).
It required a couple of tweaks in the base code. This will be in a new
buildfarm client release fairly shortly. It's running on crake now, and
I will add it to pitta to get some Windows coverage.

It would be a lot nicer is the test were written in Perl, since we don't
necessarily have a Bourne shell available for MSVC builds, but we
definitely have Perl available.

None of this does what I think we really need, which is cross-release
pg_upgrade testing, which remains on my TODO list as a fairly high
priority item.

cheers

andrew