Can't connect to Postgres with JDBC

From: Brian Cross <bscross(at)us(dot)ibm(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Can't connect to Postgres with JDBC
Date: 1998-01-19 18:15:37
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi,

I'm trying to connect to my postgres database(that came with RedHat
5.0) with an applet using JDBC. The driver seems to be loading fine, but I
receive this error when starting the applet:

java.sql.SQLException: Failed to authenticate client as Postgres user 'bscross'
using the default authentication type: be_recvauth: host-based authentication
failed.

The bscross user is both a system user and one I created in postgres.
Do I need to change the authentication type, and if so what does it need to be?

I have read every FAQ and HOWTO I could find with no luck. I would be forever
in debt if someone could help me out with this. Thanks!

--Brian Cross.