Re: not fetching all query results

From: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
To: Radim Kolar <hsn(at)filez(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: not fetching all query results
Date: 2012-08-31 01:24:33
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On 08/30/2012 08:46 PM, Radim Kolar wrote:

>> To start with you would be better looking here
>> https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc for the code. And the number of
>> commits.
> Last commit is 3 months old, and then about 3 commits per month.
> https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/commits/master

PgJDBC only has one job: talk to PostgreSQL.

The JDBC spec doesn't change fast, or much. The PostgreSQL server does -
but the wire protocol doesn't, and most enhancements to the server
require no changes to the JDBC driver. A rapid pace of change is not
required.

That said, there's plenty to do on the JDBC driver to improve
functionality, usability, and spec compliance. The issue is finding
people with the time. It's not exciting and fu, and it needs to be done
_very_ carefully.

I've just signed up to help out on PgJDBC, though my timing is poor
since I'm going on holiday for two weeks tomorrow. Like Dave and the
others the work I do will be purely in my own time, unpaid, and take
away from other things I would like to do such as
sailing/bushwalking/cycling. Keep that in mind when you complain.

My personal TODO for PgJDBC includes:

- Implementing statement timeouts using timers, in a way that's
compatible with both J2SE and Java EE.

- Adding automatic publishing to Maven Central using
maven-ant-tasks

- Patch review, testing and merging

- Merging the client certificate helper classes

- Support for JDBC 4.2 refcursors

- various compliance work

--
Craig Ringer