Re: Fairly serious bug induced by latest guc enum changes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fairly serious bug induced by latest guc enum changes
Date: 2008-06-30 20:41:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> No, my point was that there are three possible states of sync_bit and
>> your patch only accounted for transitions between two of 'em.

> Did this every get addressed?  I don't see a commit for it.

I thought it got fixed here:

	* src/backend/access/transam/xlog.c: Remove the special variable
	for open_sync_bit used in O_SYNC and O_DSYNC modes, replacing it
	with a call to a function that derives it from the sync_method
	variable, now that it has distinct values for these two cases.

	This means that assign_xlog_sync_method() no longer changes any
	settings, thus fixing the bug introduced in the change to use a guc
	enum for wal_sync_method.

Hmm ... or at least more or less fixed.  Seems like there's no provision
to close and reopen the file if enableFsync changes.  Not sure if that's
worth worrying about.