Re: libpq custom row processing

From: Federico Di Gregorio <fog(at)dndg(dot)it>
To: Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: psycopg(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: libpq custom row processing
Date: 2012-08-07 13:25:38
Lists: psycopg

On 07/08/12 15:14, Marko Kreen wrote:
> My point is that the behavior is not something completely new,
> that no-one has seen before.
>
> But it's different indeed from libpq default, so it's not something
> psycopg can convert to using unconditionally. But as optional feature
> it should be quite useful.

I agree. As an opt-in feature would be quite useful for large datasets
but then, named cursors already cover that ground. Not that I am against
it, just I'd like to see why:

curs = conn.cursor(row_by_row=True)

would be better than:

curs = conn.cursor("row_by_row")

Is row by row faster than fetching from a named cursor? Does it add less
overhead. If that's the case then would be nice to have it as a feature
for optimizing queries returning large datasets.

federico

--
Federico Di Gregorio federico(dot)digregorio(at)dndg(dot)it
Studio Associato Di Nunzio e Di Gregorio http://dndg.it