Re: PostgreSQL Password Cracker

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,mlw <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim(at)tr(dot)net>,pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Password Cracker
Date: 2003-01-02 23:20:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>> Yes, I have been feeling we should do that.  Justin pointed out just
>> yesterday that .pgpass is only mentioned in libpq documentation, and in
>> fact there is lots of stuff mentioned in libpq that releates to the
>> other interfaces, so it should be pulled out and put in one place.

> It is difficult to make out which place that would be.  You can duplicate
> the information in every place where an interface or tool that uses libpq
> is documented, but that doesn't seem to be conceptually superior.

Duplicating this info is clearly a losing proposition.  But I think
Bruce is envisioning restructuring the documentation of libpq to
separate out the parts that are only interesting to a programmer using
libpq from the parts that are interesting to a user of a libpq-based
program (for example, all the info about environment variables, conninfo
string syntax, and .pgpass).  Then the docs for interfaces and tools
could cross-reference the "externally visible behavior" section of the
libpq docs --- and this section would make sense to an end user,
without drowning him in details he doesn't care about.