Re: [HACKERS] 6.4 BETA2 fails to compile on Digital Unix 4.0d

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Pedro J(dot) Lobo" <pjlobo(at)euitt(dot)upm(dot)es>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] 6.4 BETA2 fails to compile on Digital Unix 4.0d
Date: 1998-10-29 17:45:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Pedro J. Lobo" <pjlobo(at)euitt(dot)upm(dot)es> writes:
> Ok, here's what happens: the line "AC_PROG_GCC_TRADITIONAL" in
> configure.in expands to the following in configure:

> if test $ac_cv_prog_gcc = yes; then

> The problem is that $ac_cv_prog_gcc is empty if you specify
> "--with-CC=", so the first line expands to "if test = yes; then", which
> is clearly incorrect.

Ah. OK, Autoconf is maybe not being too robust here, but it's our bug.
AC_PROG_GCC_TRADITIONAL assumes you've run AC_PROG_CC, and we don't do
that if --with-CC is given.

I will rearrange the configure script so that that's true. As far as I
can see, there's no reason to run AC_PROG_GCC_TRADITIONAL at all if the
user specifies --with-CC ... if the user wants to override the script's
idea of what C compiler to use, then it's also the user's responsibility
to supply any special CFLAGS that might be needed. So we can just move
the macro into the "else" case where AC_PROG_CC is run.

The -traditional switch shouldn't be needed anyway in any reasonably
modern gcc installation, so we could probably get away with just
removing that test entirely. But I'll leave it in.

> I don't know if I will be able to test BETA4, because I'm leaving for a
> short vacation (lucky me :-) on Saturday and won't be back until Thursday.

Have a good trip!