Re: db size growing out of control when using clustered Jackrabbit

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Gary Webster <webster(at)lexmark(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: db size growing out of control when using clustered Jackrabbit
Date: 2012-07-25 18:44:44
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 07/25/2012 11:37 AM, Gary Webster wrote:

> This is a cluster issue, not a database issue. So if you have an
> idnle in transaction, then it is affecting your JCR schema as well.
>
> OK, how do I track/debug/stop the "idle in transaction"s ?

Well idle in transaction is ALWAYS a code issue. You have code that is
executing that is starting a transaction, leaving the connection open
while not closing (committing/rollingback) the transaction.

You could turn on query logging and make sure pid and timestamp is in
the log_line_prefix. They you can see what pids are idle in transaction
and trace to what the last query was.
o you mean autovacuum, or something else?

> I mean autovacuum.
>
> I was hoping to find more of a 'root cause' (eg. jackrabbit config) for
> this issue.
> I can't believe that this table is supposed to be getting so big, to
> even require much vacuuming.

Any update/delete to that table is going to cause bloat, autovacuum
cleans that up. If it can. If it can't, it will just continously grow.

Sincerely,

jD

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC
@cmdpromptinc - 509-416-6579