Re: ZFS vs. UFS

From: Laszlo Nagy <gandalf(at)shopzeus(dot)com>
To: Torsten Zuehlsdorff <foo(at)meisterderspiele(dot)de>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ZFS vs. UFS
Date: 2012-07-24 18:35:49
Lists: pgsql-performance
> On 24.07.2012 14:51, Laszlo Nagy wrote:
>
>>   * UFS is not journaled.
>
> There is journal support for UFS as far as i know. Please have a look
> at the gjournal manpage.
Yes, but gjournal works for disk devices. I would have rely on the hw
card for RAID. When the card goes wrong I won't be able to access my data.

I could also buy an identical RAID card. In fact I could buy a complete
backup server. But right now I don't have the money for that. So I would
like to use a solution that allows me to recover from a failure even if
the RAID card goes wrong.

It might also be possible to combine gmirror + gjournal, but that is not
good enough. Performance and stability of a simple gmirror with two
disks is much worse then a raidz array with 10 disks (and hot spare), or
even a raid 1+0 (and hot spare) that is supported by the hw RAID card.

So I would like to stick with UFS+hw card support (and then I need to
buy an identical RAID card if I can), or ZFS.