Re: BUG #6735: PANIC: 42501: could not open control file "global/pg_control": Permission denied

From: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
To: tsialiam(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6735: PANIC: 42501: could not open control file "global/pg_control": Permission denied
Date: 2012-07-13 15:15:55
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On 07/13/2012 09:00 PM, tsialiam(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:

> Bug reference:      6735
> Logged by:          Petros Tsialiamanis
> Email address:      tsialiam(at)gmail(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 8.3.5
> Operating system:   WinXP Pro SP3
>
> Hi,
> The first time I started the postgresql server as 'Local System' user and I
> created the PGDATA. Now I am trying to start the postgresql server again as
> 'pss-svc' user which is member of  Administrators group and I take the
> following error message (I've changed the debug log level)

The server shouldn't crash at the end, but otherwise this is all
misconfiguration of your system. If you change the service account, you
need to change the permissions on the PostgreSQL data directory to match
the new service account credentials.

> DEBUG:  00000: mapped win32 error code 5 to 13
> LOCATION:  _dosmaperr, .\src\port\win32error.c:182
> PANIC:  42501: could not open control file "global/pg_control": Permission
> denied
> LOCATION:  ReadControlFile, .\src\backend\access\transam\xlog.c:3904
>
> This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual
> way.
> server starting

I'm not sure why it's crashing here, but you're running such an ancient
version that it's hard to care. If you can reproduce the crash with the
latest 8.3 point release it might be worth a look.

--
Craig Ringer