Re: FW: Postgres alongside MS SQL Server

From: Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my>
To: Anony Mous <A(dot)Mous(at)shaw(dot)ca>,"'Joshua D(dot) Drake'" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FW: Postgres alongside MS SQL Server
Date: 2004-04-22 17:14:10
Lists: pgsql-general
At 10:19 AM 4/28/2004 -0600, Anony Mous wrote:

>I'm not ruling out the idea of running with a separate linux box, but there
>are some strong reasons to stick with the MS box.  So, your point is well
>taken.
>
>That aside, however, I still need to draw from various people's experience
>to get a feel for any problems that may arise when running next to MS SQL
>Server.  I've heard that Postgresql is a task that runs with "Normal"
>priority, and can therefore not lock up the machine to the point where it's
>not recoverable.  In contrast, I've heard as well that MS SQL Server does
>indeed run as a high priority task and will take precedence when the OS
>doles out CPU resources.
>
>How is it possible for Postgresql to "freak out" and take out the machine?

How easy/likely is it for a program run as a normal user to blue screen an
MS server?
How easy/likely is it for a program run as a normal user to do the equiv to
a FreeBSD/Linux server?

You can also effectively take out a machine by using too much memory and
going into swap death-spiral.

I'm not sure if it is easy to limit Postgresql memory usage "gracefully" on
an MS box. AFAIK you can do memory limits on Linux/Unix boxes.

MS built-in task manager doesn't let you kill all processes. You need 3rd
party tools to do the equiv of kill -9. But of course you shouldn't kill -9
postgresql. Which brings us to something I don't know the answer of -
what's the safe way of terminating postgresql on a MS server?

Regards,
Link.