Re: connection timeout?

From: Frank Bax <fbax(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: connection timeout?
Date: 2007-02-03 22:54:29
Lists: pgsql-novice

Script and database are both on same system.&nbsp; Faster system was able
to get past next database access.&nbsp; So far so good, script continues
to run.&nbsp; Still curious why it failed on slower system, though.&nbsp;
Was this just a one-time &quot;glitch&quot;?<br><br>
Background info: This is a *very* long running script (could be days)
that initially loads data from database, then periodically updates
database to let know current status of otherwise cpu-intensive
process.&nbsp; Running on a P4 1.80Ghz processor, script got to one of
the &quot;status update&quot; points in the process in 11:14 (hrs:min); a
Core2Duo 1.86Ghz system took 4:06 (quite close to prediction) to reach
same point in process.&nbsp; Script does not exploit
multi-processors.<br><br>
At 01:35 PM 2/3/07, Shoaib Mir wrote:<br><br>
setting in between the database server and application that might be
closing the connections...<br><br>
--<br>
Shoaib Mir<br>
EnterpriseDB (<a href="http://www.enterprisedb.com">www.enterprisedb.com
On 2/3/07, <b>Frank Bax</b>
&lt;<a href="mailto:fbax(at)sympatico(dot)ca">fbax(at)sympatico(dot)ca</a>&gt;
wrote:<br>
timeout?&nbsp; I'm using DBD::Pg&nbsp; (1.47) in perl to access<br>
8.2.1 database.<br><br>
I've got a rather long running script; it does a bit of database
access,<br>
then did some other crunching for about 11-12 hours before making another
pgsql call; at which point, I get this error:<br><br>
FATAL:&nbsp; This connection has been terminated by the
administrator.<br><br>
I've restarted my script on a faster system and expect to get to the
same<br>
point in about 4 hours this time.&nbsp; Hopefully timeout values won't
get in <br>
the way this time?<br><br>

Attachment Content-Type Size
unknown_filename text/html 2.0 KB