Re: Login problem

From: Frank Bax <fbax(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
To: pgsqlnovice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Login problem
Date: 2005-12-20 18:27:36
Lists: pgsql-novice
At 12:22 PM 12/20/05, Danjel Jungersen wrote:

>On 20 Dec 2005 at 12:05, Tom Lane wrote:

> > > I did :-)
> > > as root...
> >
> > I don't think so.  initdb refuses to run as root.  However, the default
> > PG superuser account will be named the same as the Unix account that you
> > used to run initdb.
>
>Well, I did run it as root, but I have just this moment figured it
>out, the name was _postgresql (I have no idea where that name comes
>from)...

The username "_postgresql" came from your own fingers; it's a naming
standard for OpenBSD services.  You also did not run initdb as root - the
OpenBSD installation instructions directed you to create a user called
_postgresql, then su to that user and run initdb.  Perhaps you should reread:
/usr/local/share/doc/postgresql/README.OpenBSD

Frank