Re: Can I run two Postgres sessions at the same time?

From: Frank Bax <fbax(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can I run two Postgres sessions at the same time?
Date: 2005-06-27 18:00:59
Lists: pgsql-novice
At 12:36 PM 6/27/05, Steve Poe wrote:

>I have a small business I am helping with their Postgresql server. They
>may need to move one of two databases onto a seperate disk system. They
>don't want another physical server. Can I run two postmasters pointing
>to different disk areas
>(i.e. /usr/local/db1/data , /usr/local/db2/data)? Can they be on the
>same port?

Your example shows two data directories (which contain subdirectories for
databases), but your question was about moving a database, not a data
directory.  If you want to move one database to another disk, you can do
that without much trouble...

         - stop postmaster
         - move database directory to new disk system
         - create link from old db2 location to new disk system
         - restart postmaster

Frank