Capturing vacuum output

From: David Rickard <David(dot)Rickard(at)GTScompanies(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Judith Strawser <judiths(at)GTScompanies(dot)com>, Don Walters <dwalters(at)GTScompanies(dot)com>
Subject: Capturing vacuum output
Date: 2003-10-29 18:28:58
Lists: pgsql-novice

PostgreSQL: 7.3.4
Platform: SunOS 5.9 Generic_112233-07 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-250

We plan to run vacuumdb nightly on our PostgreSQL cluster (which may be
excessive--we welcome opinions/insights on vacuum scheduling); we want to
run vacuum in verbose mode, for our own statistical analysis/review--but
we're having trouble capturing the verbose output; when we do a simple pipe
to a file--

vacuumdb -a -f -z -v | vaclog.log

all that gets captured is the backend database commands--VACUUM <dbname>
etc; thinking that the verbose output was going to something besides
stdout, we tried

vacuumdb -a -f -z -v 2> ${pg_log}/vaclog.log

and got the error message: "cannot vacuum all databases and a specific one
at the same time";
To what I/O stream does the verbose output get written, and how can we
capture it?

--

David Rickard
Software Engineer

The GTS Companies:
GTS Publishing Services, GTS Graphics, GTS Innova:
Your Single-Source Solution!
Los Angeles CA * York, PA * Boston MA * New Delhi, India

David(dot)Rickard(at)GTSCompanies(dot)com
Visit us on the World Wide Web
http://www.gtscompanies.com
5650 Jillson St., Los Angeles, CA 90040
(323) 888-8889 x331