Database names and pg_dump

From: David Rickard <David(dot)Rickard(at)GTScompanies(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Judith Strawser <judiths(at)GTScompanies(dot)com>
Subject: Database names and pg_dump
Date: 2003-08-26 21:38:15
Lists: pgsql-novice

We are planning to migrate from Oracle to PostGreSQL, and we would like to
replicate our database maintenance procedures/scripts as closely as possible;
Our Oracle backup scripts extract the names of all active SIDs from the
/etc/oratab file and perform a backup export for each SID;
Is there an equivalent file or utility that will provide the name of each
database within a PostGreSQL cluster?
I know you can extract an entire cluster via pg_dumpall, but we would like
to stick with the individual db backups--for file-size issues and restore
efficiency.

--

David Rickard
Software Engineer

The GTS Companies:
GTS Publishing Services, GTS Graphics, GTS Innova:
Your Single-Source Solution!
Los Angeles CA * York, PA * Boston MA * New Delhi, India

David(dot)Rickard(at)GTSCompanies(dot)com
Visit us on the World Wide Web
http://www.gtscompanies.com
5650 Jillson St., Los Angeles, CA 90040
(323) 888-8889 x331