Hello from new list subscriber

From: William Yu <wyu(at)talisys(dot)com>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Hello from new list subscriber
Date: 2003-07-16 21:51:02
Lists: sfpug

(stands up) Hi, my name is William and I am a PostgreSQL user. Wait, I
think I'm mixed up -- is this the AA mailing list? Well onto the details
you really want to know. SERVER HARDWARE!!! I have Postgres deployed on the
following machines:

Opteron 2x244, Redhat 9 (32-bit kernel) : production server
Athlon 2xMP1800+, Solaris 8: to be redeployed
Athlon 2xMP1800+, Solaris 8: production server
2xP3/1GHz, Solaris 8: production server
2xP3/800, Solaris 8: web/db server hosting all my personal websites :)
2xP3/800, Redhat 9: development server
2xP3/800, Redhat 9: development server
P3/750, Solaris 8: CVS server (I store all CVS updates & changes in a
Postgres DB in order to link up to a web interface)

We started using Postgres when 7.1.x came out. Before then without TOAST, I
would have had to write some serious app hacks to get around that issue. We
started using Solaris x86 as our server OS but now are moving to Linux --
sooner or later, we want our production servers to be running 64-bit Linux
on Opteron machines which means all our development servers should at least
be 32-bit Linux to make the configs & source compiling easier.

Development tools? I use "COPY CON " at the dos command line and then hit
ALT-numpad codes to generate binaries. And when those binaries don't work,
I use a mix of Perl and VFPW+ODBC.