Which of the solution is better?

From: Wei Weng <wweng(at)kencast(dot)com>
To: PgSQL Performance ML <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Which of the solution is better?
Date: 2002-12-11 05:20:57
Lists: pgsql-performance
I have two tables A and B where A is a huge table with thousands of rows, B
is a small table with only a couple of entries.

I want to do something like

SELECT
	A.ID
	A.Name
FROM
	A JOIN B ON (A.ID = B.ID)

And on the other hand I can have something like this

SELECT
	A.ID
	A.Name
FROM
WHERE
	A.ID IN (B_Id_List)

B_Id_List is a string concatenation of B.ID. (ie, 1,2,3,4,5 ...)

Which one is faster, more efficient?

And if you could, which one is faster/more efficient under MS SQL Server 7?
I am trying to develop a cross platform query, that is why I need to
concern with performance under different databases.

Thanks a lot!

Wei