Re: Cannot add an column of type serial or

From: David Sigeti <sigeti(at)lanl(dot)gov>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cannot add an column of type serial or
Date: 2003-12-10 15:54:46
Lists: pgadmin-supportpgsql-hackers
At 12:21 PM 12/10/2003 +0100, Andreas Pflug wrote:

>David Sigeti wrote:
>
>>I am using pgadminIII 1.0.2 with PostgreSQL 7.4 under W2K SP4 and Cygwin
>>(current as of 2 or 3 weeks ago).  The server is running locally.
>>
>>If I attempt to add an column of type serial or bigserial to a table, the
>>operation fails with a message telling me that adding an column with a
>>default value is not implemented.  What is really weird is that one can,
>>in fact, add a column with a default value, like an int4 with a default
>>value or 0.  The problem does not arise if the serial (or bigserial)
>>column is created when the table is created (as a part of CREATE TABLE).
>serial isn't a true datatype but a keyword that can be used only at
>creation time. Still, pgAdmin3 should create the commands necessary for
>this to make life easier; I added this as a TODO item.

Adding this functionality would be great but I suggest that the error
message be changed right away as it is seriously misleading.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to help me out.

Yours,
David

---
Dr. David E. Sigeti
Phone: 505-667-9239
E-mail: sigeti(at)lanl(dot)gov
Surface mail: X-8, MS-F645, Los Alamos National Laboratory,
               Los Alamos, NM 87545 USA