Re: comparing with oracle

From: Naomi Walker <nwalker(at)eldocomp(dot)com>
To: "sachdev(at)dacafe(dot)com" <sachdev(at)dacafe(dot)com>
Cc: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>,"sachdev(at)dacafe(dot)com" <sachdev(at)dacafe(dot)com>,"pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: comparing with oracle
Date: 2003-12-17 16:36:04
Lists: pgsql-admin

>  1. Is there any way I can generate archive log in postgres

I run cron jobs that dump all my databases each evening, plus GLOBALS.  The
cronlogs are then my archive log.

>  2. Is it possible to run the postgres in standby mode (like Oracle stnd
>by server) and apply the archive logs

Nope.  We do have write ahead logs, but you cannot yet do point in time
recovery.

>Thanks and regards,
>Sachdev
>

>  On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 20:03:54 -0800,
> >   sachdev(at)dacafe(dot)com wrote:
> >>  Hi,
> >> I was able to migrate the Oracle database to Postgres, including
> >> functions, procedures. Thanks to ora2pg script and postgres
> >> documentation
> >> on porting from  oracle to Postgres.
> >>
> >> I have now two tuff task. We are running Oracle in stadby mode and apply
> >> archive logs at remote place to maintain our DR site. Is there any way I
> >> can  generate archive logs.?
> >
> > You would need to look at one of the replication solutions. I don't know
> > lot about them.
> >
> >> I need to know postgres datacrash recovery techniques also. If the
> >> database crashes  we have around 25Gb of data, is there any way apart
> >> from
> >> restoring the full back up?
> >
> > It depends on what kind of crash. If the machine unexpectedly shutdown,
> > then should be able to just start the server back up. If you lost a hard
> > drive then you will need to restore from backup. Note that backing up the
> > data directory while the postmaster is running will not give you a usable
> > backup. You either need to use pg_dump or you need to do a backup while
> > the postmaster is shutdown. There is no point in time recovery available
> > at this time.

Naomi Walker                         Chief Information Officer
                                               Eldorado Computing, Inc.
nwalker(at)eldocomp(dot)com           602-604-3100
Never eat more than you can lift.  - Miss Piggy

-- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE --

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended addressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email, and delete the message. Thank you.

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Sai Hertz And Control SystemsDate: 2003-12-17 17:03:27