Re: Shared Memory Sizing

From: Doug Fields <dfields-pg-general(at)pexicom(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Doug Fields <dfields-pg-general(at)pexicom(dot)com>, "Peter A(dot) Daly" <petedaly(at)ix(dot)netcom(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Shared Memory Sizing
Date: 2002-06-26 18:20:41
Lists: pgsql-general

>I advise in my hardware tuning guide that it be increased until paging
>starts, then reduce it, and start around 25%. Is that OK?

This is fine up to a point.

My PostgreSQL server has 8gb ram (running under 2.4.18). I can't allocate
2gb shared because that basically takes up all the RAM of any individual
process, since the i386 kernel can only access 2 or 3 gigs of RAM (it saves
one or two for the kernel).

So, I've set it to 256megs of shared, and I'll increase it from there as
necessary. The rest, I hope, will be used to keep pages in cache by the
operating system, which will hopefully be able to move them into the shared
memory relatively quickly.

Cheers,

Doug