Re: PQescapeString

From: Mark Thomas <thomas(at)pbegames(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PQescapeString
Date: 2002-06-08 17:29:15
Lists: pgsql-novice

At 11:36 AM 6/8/02 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>Mark Thomas <thomas(at)pbegames(dot)com> writes:
> > ... I end up with a query string that looks like:
> > INSERT INTO "some_table" (ttext)
> > VALUES ('This is a test of postgresql''s escaping mechanism')
>
>That should result in inserting
>
> This is a test of postgresql's escaping mechanism
>
> > Subsequently I do:
>
> > SELECT ttext from "some_table";
>
> > This is a test of postgresql''s escaping mechanism
>
>This is hard to believe. The returned string shouldn't have the
>doubled quote. You're going to have to give more details about
>what you're doing.

The technical term is 'being stupid' :( I was being a bit too careful about
my string cleaning and invoking PQescapeString twice, which explains the
results I was seeing perfectly. Thanks for the answer.

Mark Thomas
---
thomas(at)pbegames(dot)com ----> http://www.pbegames.com/~thomas
Play by Electron Games -> http://www.pbegames.com Free Trial Games