Re: Migrating from MS-Access to Postgresql

From: Dino Nardini <dnardini(at)rivendellsoftware(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>,"'Marc Cuypers'" <m(dot)cuypers(at)pandora(dot)be>,pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Migrating from MS-Access to Postgresql
Date: 2002-03-28 13:45:15
Lists: pgadmin-support
Hello,

I ran into similiar problems when migrating tables from MSSQL to
Postgres.  Typically I create table names such as "TableName" and column
names such as "TableID" in MSSQL.  If there exists a table called
"TableName" and a column called "TableID" why won't the following query
work in postgres:

SELECT TableID FROM TableName

I guess that my question is: why does Postgres muck around with the
case?   Double quoting all tables and columns in a database that contains
dozens of tables is far too much work, and I don't understand why I need to
drop all my labels to lowercase in the DB.  Is there no way to override
this behavior?

Cheers... Dino

At 09:10 AM 28/03/2002 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Either change your query to:
>
>SELECT * FROM "Invoices"
>
>or, on the first step in the Migration Wizard, use the options to shift
>names to lower case, and re-migrate your data.
>
>Of course, if you only have a few tables/columns you could just rename
>them in pgAdmin.
>
>Regards, Dave.

Rivendell Software - Dynamic Web Solutions
www.rivendellsoftware.com
tel 902.461.0720
cell 902.802.0867

pgadmin-support by date

Next:From: Dave PageDate: 2002-03-28 13:57:47
Subject: Re: Can't edit tables with timestamps