Re: cross databases?

From: Hilary Forbes <hforbes(at)dmr(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Jodi Kanter <jkanter(at)virginia(dot)edu>, Postgres Admin List <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: cross databases?
Date: 2004-07-08 15:46:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

I have often wanted to do this.&nbsp; Years ago, when I was working with
Sybase databases it was perfectly possible.&nbsp; You simply qualified
the table name with a database identifier as I recall eg <br><br>
SELECT m.myfield from second_db.mytable m;<br><br>
The advantages are that you may have two otherwise unconnected systems
which need separately backing up etc but where one uses the other for
lookup purposes (eg a reservations system uses a lookup to an accounts
system to get the customer name and number).&nbsp; <br><br>
I have never understood why postgreSQL hasn't seen this as a priority in
development in more recent months.&nbsp; Maybe someone will enlighten us
both!<br><br>
Hilary<br><br>
At 11:18 08/07/2004 -0400, Jodi Kanter wrote:<br><br>
MySQL and says that he has two separate databases in which he can query
across. I am curious if that is something that can be done in postgres?
Any comments on whether or not that is a good thing?<br>
Thanks<br>
Jodi Kanter<br>
-- <br><br>
<i>_______________________________<br>
Jodi L Kanter<br>
BioInformatics Database Administrator<br>
University of Virginia<br>
(434) 924-2846<br>
&nbsp;<br><br>
<i>&nbsp;<br>
</i><br>
<i>&nbsp;</blockquote>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
Hilary Forbes<br>
The DMR Information and Technology Group&nbsp;
Direct tel 01689 889950 Fax 01689 860330 <br>
DMR is a UK registered trade mark of DMR Limited<br>

Attachment Content-Type Size
unknown_filename text/html 1.7 KB