Object serialization and postgres tables, org.postgresql.util.Serialize.create() method depreciated?

From: Kash <bikevalets(at)sfbike(dot)org>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Object serialization and postgres tables, org.postgresql.util.Serialize.create() method depreciated?
Date: 2004-02-14 16:43:03
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
I've been asked to store some java objects in a postgresql database so that
the individual fields are accessible. After a little poking around I found
mentions of org.postgreql.util.Serialize in the postgres JDBC extensions.

I tried to use the create() method to generate tables matching the object I
wanted to store, but no luck. More research turned up mentions that the
code did not work as advertised and other comments that it would be deleted
in future releases.

Sure enough, running jar on the files available at
http://jdbc.postgresql.org shows that in releases above 7.3 ,
org/postgresql/util/Serialize.class is missing.

Tantalizingly, in the postgresql 7.4 release notes under JDBC there is an
entry 'serialize addition', and in a CVS log 'Removed deprecated Serialize
functionality'.

I can find no explanation of whether or how the functionality has been
replaced. Mapping objects to tables seems so broadly useful that I can't
imagine it's just been dropped. Does anyone know?

pgsql-jdbc by date

Next:From: Kris JurkaDate: 2004-02-14 19:30:46