Getting to learn libpqxx

From: Michiel Lange <michiel(at)minas(dot)demon(dot)nl>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Getting to learn libpqxx
Date: 2003-04-09 22:30:40
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Hello everybody again,

I went out to investigate and try if I could master libpqxx, for libpq++
works not at all. Seeing it is discontinued, and people are encouraged to
use libpqxx, I was so bold as to try that ;-)

Only to discover that there is hardly any documentation on how to access
stuff... now I, myself am more a C-programmer, and I know C++ is pretty
much different... it is really hard for me to think in classes and stuff,
to think object-oriented...

So, now you know I am an earthling :P

I tried this kind of approach, the idea was to start out simple... so don't
laugh at the attempt ...

#include <pqxx/connection.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
	Connection *db;
	char uname[250]; // username
	char passwd[250]; // password
	char host[250]; //hostname
	char passwd[250]; //password
	char dbase[250]; //database name
	char connstring[1264];
	... some output and input to get values for all these char arrays...

	connstring = "host=" >> host >> "database=" >> dbase >> "username=" >>
uname >> "password=" >> passwd;
	db = new Connection(connstring,true);

	if(db->is_open())
	{
		cout << "Connection succesful!" << endl;
		cout << db->Options();
	}
	else
	{
		cout << "Something went wrong... oops" << endl;
	}
	delete db;
	return 0;
}

I get my first errors at "Connection *db" declaration... there is no
Connection defined...
Can anyone point out how to reference the classes libpqxx has?

Also I was curious if my connstring was correctly built, but that is
another subject I think... One other very important thing would be: how can
I find out the error PostgreSQL will throw at me when I did something ugly?
At least I can find out the problem, when I make one then...

Michiel

pgsql-interfaces by date